SpringFest right as rain

Though SpringFest was caught in a cloudy rainstorm turning much of the Central Campus quad to mud, the weather failed to spoil the mood for students.The lineup, which featured UVM bands Binger, Tar Iguana and Argonaut & Wasp, as well as national acts Tanlines, Remix Artist Collective and headliner Atmosphere, proved to be more than enough to draw fans to the Chittenden-Buckham-Wills green April 26. In spite of the rain, overcast and 48 degree weather, Binger, made up of juniors Braden Winslow and Shakir Stephen along with Dalton Muzzy set up to perform on the smaller stage just right of the main stage as the first act.Winslow came dressed in a full-body penguin suit, alongisde Stephen who was dressed in a rabbit costume.?The band with the funny outfits? They were really good,? said Will Gregory, an audience member who came from Rutland, Vt. for the show. Binger, one of the winners of the University Program Board?s Battle of the Bands, played a set of songs that varied in styles, often transitioning from one genre to another mid-set.?They?re like a combination of funk, rock and freestyle hip-hop,? first-year Evan Halnon said.Both Winslow and Stephen rapped for the crowd and then even invited junior Mallory Duncan, also known as ?Galactic Brown,? to join them on stage for a few songs. Up next was Tar Iguana, the other winner of the Program Board?s Battle of the Bands.Band members described themselves as a group that puts a ?twist? on song covers. ?We?re the jammiest cover band you?ve ever heard,? guitarist and vocalist senior Chris Heres said.?We?re going to play some songs for you. You?ll probably be familiar with many of them,? guitarist and senior Jack Schroader said before their first song.Toward the end of Tar Iguana?s set, festival-goers crowded toward the main stage in anticipation for electronic indie-rock duo Tanlines.Rain continued to fall as the band was introduced to the stage.?We came from New York City to play a few songs for you,? percussionist Jesse Cohen said. ?This is sort of jam-sessiony,? guitarist Eric Emm said. ?I was told I had to say that in Vermont.?The band members said that SpringFest was their first time playing a show in the rain but Cohen said they tried ?to bring some sunshine.?But various students and newly self-proclaimed Tanlines fans said they felt that SpringFest didn?t need sunshine at all. ?I don?t feel the rain is inhibiting the show at all. Lots of people are still here,? sophomore Christina McLaughlin said.?People don?t care that much [about the rain],? first-year Jane Strudwick said. By the end of Tanlines? set, even though they were unable to bring the sunshine to Burlington, they did manage to stop the rain.?We?ll take credit for that,? Cohen said as the rain stopped falling.Some students took advantage of the outdoors by playing Frisbee, dancing with hula-hoops and even playing in the mud.Next up was Remix Artist Collective, or RAC, a group that remixes songs into electronic dance music, such as their remix of the Talking Heads ?Once in a Lifetime,? which they performed at the show.McLaughlin and sophomores Nora Brosnan and Chelsea Gelwarg said they were at SpringFest mostly to see headliner Atmosphere.?The only band here I?ve heard of is Atmosphere,? first-year Beth Potter said.When the time came, Atmosphere fans made their presence known. The audience, which had dispersed throughout the quad in between previous sets, pushed toward the front when the hip-hop duo came to the stage.Gregory, a self-proclaimed ?lifetime fan? of Atmosphere described the duo as ?backpack rap,? or underground urban rap. Festival-goers also took note of how energetic the duo?s performance was.?Atmosphere is really high energy and good with the crowd,? senior Norio Costantino said. Despite the weather, musicians and fans alike reported having a great time at this year?s SpringFest.