Student dance talent showcased

As the lights dimmed in the Patrick Gym Dance Studio last Saturday, Dec. 1, the crowd grew silent. All eyes intently watched the floor, eager for the Orchesis Dance Companys Fall Showcase to begin.Orchesis, from the Greek word meaning to dance, is one of UVMs premier student-run dance clubs.At the end of every semester, Orchesis organizes a showcase of the diversity and talent of UVM s student dancers.Primarily featuring performances by Orchesis itself, this semesters showcase also featured several other guest groups including Hoop Troop, Bollywood Dance Club, Salsa and Swing Society, the Celtic Cats and the Catamount Dance Crew.Orchesis opened the show with a dance choreographed to Kanye Wests Lost in the World.While deep blue lighting illuminated the floor, the dancers movements coincided with the structure of the song, starting off slow and fluid-like, then building with intensity as the music reached its peak.The first guest performance of the evening was the Hoop Troop. Dancing to a remix of The Circle of Life from the Lion King soundtrack, black lights transformed their hoops into vibrantly glowing rings that were used to create patterns of light and motion.Bollywood Club also made an appearance, adorned in colorful and flowing outfits as they moved across the dance floor.In between group performances, junior Sonia Santvoord performed a solo dance choreographed to The Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd.The Celtic Cats, dressed in black and gold, took turns step-dancing in rhythm with the music, moving in and out of various formations in a display of intricate footwork.The Catamount Dance Crew followed and commanded the audiences attention with their hip-hop style dance and their wardrobe of baggy clothing.It was an interesting showcase of the diversity and talents of UVMs dance groups, first-year Joe Nowlan said of the performance.The final performance of the night incorporated the extensive range of dancing ability from the members of every group featured in the show.The different teams of dancers traded the floor space while Macklemores Thrift Shop played through the studio speakers.As the song progressed to its finale, the groups joined in unison to end the program with an all-inclusive dancing showcase of the hard work and dedication that made the performance possible.There was a lot of work put into it, but it was definitely worth it in the end, Tori Cross said, a first-year member of the Orchesis Dance Company. It was also a lot of fun getting to meet the other dance clubs and doing the collaboration with them.