The Cynical Listener

Foxygen, a Los Angeles-based songwriting duo, is comprised of longtime friends who have produced countless EPs of ranging quality and sound beginning in their early teenage years. The newest album, released by independent record label JagJaguwar, is their first product with a distinct concept, offering an undeniable cohesive sound. Arguably, it is their best to date.Foxygen makes music that Pitchfork.com has described as bedroom pysch and nostalgia rock, noting the fact that band mates Sam France and Jonathan Rado make music that sounds like it is from 40 years ago.We love 60s and 70s music. Were very disillusioned; we cant relate to modern music very well. We dont even know any new bands, France and Rado stated in a Jan. 31 Pitchfork.com article.This statement could be an indicator that Foxygen is merely a throwback band with nothing new to offer to the modern listener, but this is far from the case. The duo has created a psych-rock infused album with a sense of uniqueness and modernity. The total product is best digested in one sitting.Foxygen creates an exuberant infusion of sounds and vocals ranging from groups such as the Doors, the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones. There are certain songs in which I am convinced Jim Morrison is singing and others where I swear it is Mick Jagger crooning on the microphone.Take the second track of the album for example a nostalgic, laidback groove called No Destruction.The song simultaneously references numerous retro-rock quotes such as the door of consciousness (think the Doors) and everything you see is love, a clear reference to the closing sentiments of Abbey Road. In the very same song, France makes a poignant statement claiming, theres no need to be an asshole/youre not in Brooklyn anymore, a modern critique of the New York City lifestyle and culture the two artists escaped. This contrast works and embodies the concept of the entire album, a fusion of old and new; the recognizable and the unfamiliar.The references to cities continue in San Francisco, a catchy, soothing and downright infectious track with numerous tempo, key and stylistic changes. At first listen the song seems muddled, but upon reflection, the sounds meld in a most pleasing fashion, prompting numerous repeats.Shuggie, the most pop-friendly track, is woozy, melodic and catchy, with an Ariel Pink/ MGMT vibe.The song has three distinct tempo changes, each coupled with various vocal approaches from France that demonstrate his raw talent as a singer.The album flies by at a brisk 36 minutes and the closing song, similar in sound to the Beatles, wraps up an entertaining and nostalgic album.While each track draws parallels to numerous artists of the past, it is undeniable that Foxygen has created their own unique sound. I highly recommend that you sit down and introduce your ears to Foxygen. You wont regret it.