The Cynical Viewer

If I had a time machine I would love to walk onto the set of SNL in 1977 and tell a young, mustached, up-and-coming Bill Murray that in 36 years he would play the U.S. president in a Golden Globe- nominated role just to see his reaction.To be completely honest, the only reason I saw Hyde Park on Hudson was for Bill Murray. I am a huge Murray fan.Probably the best line he delivers in the film is why cant politicians just be honest? To see him play FDR and portray the president as a charismatic, binge-drinking adulterer makes the film entirely worth seeing.If you have ever seen iconic films such as Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Lost In Translation, Life Aquatic, Coffee and Cigarettes or Broken Flowers, I dont see how one couldnt share similar love and appreciation for Murray.Overall, Hyde Park is a half-decent, sentimental piece and rides on the coattails of 2010s The Kings Speech about King George VIs conflicts pre-WWII.Hyde Park chronologically takes place shortly after The Kings Speech, where King George has come to FDRs country retreat to persuade him to join the fight against Hitler. This conflict feels somewhat frivolous since the actual plot is driven by the story of the love affair between FDR and his fifth cousin.Toward the end of the film, a major plot factor involves King George eating an American hot dog, although it might come off as ridiculous. The film presents the relationship built between these two leaders as fundamental to the beginning of good poliy relations between England and the U.S.The only other actor whose performance is commendable was Olivia Williams as Eleanor Roosevelt. Williams and Murray had previously played each others love interests in Wes Andersons second film, Rushmore.Most of the film is in good humor, relying on the awkwardness of socialization between powerful people trying to keep up formal appearances.But by the end, you might feel like you have watched a giant endorsement against monogamy.