Move out mayhem

Summer is lurking right around the corner and all that stands between UVM students and their freedom is finishing up finals and moving out of their dorms or off-campus apartments.

In the past, move out day has been a total disaster.

Couches left with mysterious stains on the Redstone green, moldy fridges dumped in dorm hallways and stacks upon stacks of ramen noodle packages abandoned in trash rooms are all too common images.

For the past few years, UVM Recycling has worked to help students figure out what to do with all the ÒjunkÓ that just wonÕt fit into their parents cars come move-out day.

This week, students living on campus will see barrels set up in the lobbies of their dorms.

These will include clothing, blankets and linens, food and toiletries and household items.

There will also be Òtake it or leave itÓ areas outside of the dorms designated for larger items such as couches and mini fridges. Students can sort the stuff they arenÕt taking home with them and leave them in the barrels or the designated areas.

Last year UVM recycled 10,000 pounds of ÒstuffÓ to local, charitable organizations such as the Salvation Army, Vermont Food Bank, COTS, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity and ReSource Vermont, according to UVM Recycling

Students living off-campus can use the Spring Move Out ProjectÑa collaborative effort by the City of Burlington, the University of Vermont, Chittenden Solid Waste District and many others that work to collect items for donation that students living down town are just throwing away.

The 2013 SMOP event will take place on Thursday, May 23 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on both Loomis and Bradley Streets.

So, be responsible during move out this year and be mindful of your waste, because your trash might be another personÕs treasure.