Those spring showers bring flowers or herbs

Despite last week’s brief snowstorm, it looks like spring has finally sprung. With the warm weather coming quickly, I’m eager to start potting some of my favorite plants.

The idea of growing your own fresh herbs can be a bit daunting, so here’s a list of low-maintenance plants that are hard to kill and can add a delicious burst of flavor to your next spring meal.

Basil

This classic Italian flavor thrives in a pot filled with moist soil and six to eight hours of sunlight each day.

As the plant grows, removing the leaves at the stems may encourage the plant to branch out, allowing for the growth of more leaves, according to the website Bonnie Plants.

Basil can be added to various soups, salads and pasta.

Mint

It comes in several different varieties, all of which are rugged and fast growing, according to Bonnie Plants.

Mint is also a spreading plant, meaning it takes up space quickly. It’s important that it is planted with plenty of extra space in the pot, according to the website.

Mint can be used in meat and fish dishes, as well as in delicious summer cocktails like mint juleps and mojitos.

Oregano

This flavorful herb is very hearty and is said to bring good luck to gardens, according to Better Homes and Gardens.

While oregano prefers sunlight, it benefits from afternoon shade as well, according to Bonnie Plants.

This herb’s flavors and aromas are strongest in midsummer, just before they bloom.

Oregano can be used in homemade tomato sauces as well as being sprinkled over a green salad.