Aya AL-Namee wins SGA presidency

The votes are in and the decision is final, junior Aya AL-Namee is the new SGA president with 783 votes.  Uncontested junior Andrew Bowen has been elected as the SGA vice president with 1529 votes. “I want to thank all the people who helped me, supported me, voted for me and endorsed me,” AL-Namee said. “There have been so many people who have been a part of this process.” “I am very happy, I am very excited. We had good elections this year, it was a fair race with people of different point of views,” she said. This election had the highest voter turnout in recent times with a total of 1879 votes in the presidential election, said Connor Daley, current SGA president. “I believe that being president will provide me the opportunity to help more students and represent a greater number of people,” AL-Namee stated in her platform. AL-Namee feels that it is imperative that SGA gathers feedback from everyone before making decisions that will affect the student body, according to her platform.  “I feel it is imperative to get more students involved on campus. If elected, I will form focus groups and meet with different student clubs and organizations on campus to collect feedback,” AL-Namee stated in her platform. As president, AL-Namee hopes to reach out to all students, and enhance the overall student experience. She also hopes to increase collaboration between clubs and have students be more aware of changes being made in the academic area, she said in her platform. When asked how she will celebrate the victory AL-Namee said that she was going to make sure to thank all those that supported her. “I am going to go see the people that helped me out,” she said. “I am going to meet with the organizations on campus and have them come through the office so that they can see what we’re capable of.” President Tom Sullivan spoke on the opportunity to be SGA president. “It is a great opportunity for students and I am sure Connor would say that, being able to sit at the table where all of the decisions are being discussed.” Sullivan is excited to have the opportunity to work closely with AL-Namee.  “I am really pleased that we’ll have an opportunity to work with her and her team at the SGA,”  Sullivan said. “We will continue to focus on student success.” AL-Namee says she has come to realize how much she loves UVM. “I want to leave a lasting, positive impact on the UVM community using the leadership skills that I established in the past three years as a student a leader,” AL-Namee said in her platform. AL-Namee said that her first action upon taking SGA office will be to “rearrange it.”