Field hockey drops senior game to BU

The Vermont field hockey season came to an end on Saturday in the cold and wind after a 2-1 overtime loss at Moulton Winder Field to America East rival Boston University. Senior Maegan Luce scored the one and only UVM goal of the game. Boston University junior Nikki Lloyd scored the only BU goal of regulation. Then, graduate student Sheena Berry scored for the Terriers in overtime to give Boston the victory. Before the game, the team honored Vermont’s five senior players. The seniors were Jennifer Angers, Lauren Burke, Wendy Carbone, Maegan Luce and Kim Striegler. The players were also mentioned for their academic and athletic achievements during their time at Vermont. Vermont scored early in the first half with an unassisted goal from Luce. Boston came back quickly with the score from Lloyd to tie the game. The score remained tied for the rest of the first half. Neither team managed to score at all in the second half, forcing the game into sudden death overtime. The Terriers scored quickly in the overtime period with the goal from Berry. Lloyd had an assist on this goal that ended the Catamounts’ playoff hopes. Both Vermont and BU took three shots in the first half and two shots in the second. The only difference in shots was the overtime goal. Junior UVM goalkeeper Kristen Heavens managed to get two saves in the first half and one in the second. Boston University goalkeeper Kim Kastuk didn’t record a single save in the game. Boston University will advance to the America East tournament next weekend. The Vermont seniors will be honored again at the team’s Rally Awards on May 5 at the Flynn Theatre in downtown Burlington. Vermont finishes off the season with a 9-9 record overall. The Cats also finish with a 1-4 record in America East games.