Former UVM student pleads guilty to murder for hire and other charges

A former UVM nursing student pled guilty to murder for hire, conspiracy to kidnap and murder a person overseas and several child pornography offenses on Oct. 14, according to an Oct. 14 U.S. Department of Justice press release. 

Sean Fiore was about to graduate from UVM as a nurse practitioner on May 17, 2020, the day of his arrest, according to a Sept. 15, 2020 press release from the Department of Justice U.S. District of Vermont’s Attorney’s Office. 

Fiore completed his degree program at UVM before being charged, according to an Oct. 15 email from UVM Spokesperson Enrique Corredera.

Fiore was charged Sept. 15, 2020, according to the Sept. 15, 2020 press release. 

The child pornography offenses included conspiracy to produce child pornography and possession of child pornography, according to the Oct. 14 press release. 

U.S. District Judge Christina Reiss set Fiore’s sentencing date for March 1, 2022, the Oct. 14 press release stated. Fiore faces up to a lifetime of imprisonment for conspiracy to kidnap and murder a person in a foreign country. 

Fiore additionally faces up to 20 years of imprisonment for murder for hire, up to 10 years of imprisonment for possession of child pornography and up to 30 years, with a mandatory minimum of 15 years, for conspiracy to produce child pornography, according to the Oct. 14 press release. 

“We continue to be deeply saddened by the pain caused to victims and their loved ones in this tragic case,” Corredera’s email stated.