Man attempts robbery

The cell phones of UVM students buzzed in unison for the second time within the past two weeks, this time alerting them of an attempted armed robbery on campus.

“Another robbery could happen at any moment until they catch the suspect,” first-year Lizzie Leonard said.

Leonard added that after the robbery, she is scared to walk outside alone.

A white male is described as the suspect of the attempted robbery that occurred near Votey Hall, according to the CatAlert sent to students Jan. 25.

The suspect is believed to be between 5’6″ and 5’9″ and in his late teens and early twenties, according to a UVM Police Services report.

The suspect was described as wearing a one piece, black hooded jacket with the hood pulled up, and also was possibly wearing jeans, the report said.

UVM police services received the call at approximately 6:47 p.m. alerting them of the attempted armed robbery, according to the report.

The three victims of the incident “were walking on the UVM shuttle path west of University Place, between the buildings Cook and Votey at approximately 6:30 p.m.,” the report said.

The suspect, who was carrying a knife, approached the three victims and demanded money, according to the report.

The suspect left the area and headed northeast, possibly due to another person who walked by the area, according to the report.

“I never had to think twice about walking alone at night time around here, but after hearing of this, I can’t say I feel so secure,” first-year James Foley said.

The incident came as a shock to Foley, who felt that this is a reminder that bad things can happen anywhere, even in Burlington.

Burlington Police and their K-9, South Burlington Police and Vermont State Police assisted the UVM police officers who responded to the incident, the report said.

There were no injuries, according to the CatAlert. UVM police are still searching for the suspect, and advise students to walk in pairs or groups when they go through campus.

“The fact that he hasn’t been caught yet causes students to be more aware of their surroundings because it is scary, and it could happen to any of us,” first-year Joseph Charles said.

On the night of the robbery, he made an effort to be more conscious of his surroundings, Charles said.

The incident is currently under investigation, and UVM Police is advising anyone who has information regarding the incident to call Police Services at 656-3473.

Students can refer to www.vermontcynic.com for updates on the investigation.