McCarthy Signs NHL Contract with New York Rangers

? Vermont men’s hockey senior forward Chris McCarthy has made the next move to continue his career, signing with the National Hockey League’s New York Rangers. ? “It’s always been a dream of mine to one day sign an NHL contract. The fact that it’s with an Original Six team makes it even more special,” said McCarthy in an interview with UVM Athletics. ? In the same interview head coach Kevin Sneddon said “Chris has been a fantastic player, a great leader and a great role model during his time at UVM.  The New York Rangers have acquired an excellent player and person to add to their organization”. ? A frequent member of the America East Hockey Top Performer list over the years, McCarthy played five seasons for the team, including his junior season, which was cut to six games due to a shoulder injury. ? This was followed by a redshirt junior season in which McCarthy served as assistant captain for the second straight year. He would record 31 points, more than any previous season, demonstrating his massive improvement as well as resilience in returning to form after his shoulder healed. ? In his final year, he led the team to their sixth NCAA tournament appearance of all time, scoring the only two goals for the team in a loss to top seeded Union College. McCarthy ends his UVM hockey career 30th on the all time points list with 114 points, coming from 46 goals and 68 assists, according to UVM athletics.