Need Some Help With Your Essays?

The University seeks to offer students a variety of additional means of academic support. Possibly one of the most easily accessible and most important resources provided to all students stems from the Learning Cooperative, which offers an array of services to ease the transition into college and provide support for notoriously difficult classes or any subject for that matter.

The services provided by the Co-op are potentially the most convenient, affordable and logical, in that the center is located on-campus, as are the tutors and the The Co-op has an understanding of UVM academics and close relationships throughout the colleges and several departments ensuring only the best and most knowledgeable of staff.

Because these student-tutors graduate or spend time abroad the Learning Co-op finds itself occasionally lacking in a robust tutor roster. There are constantly openings available for subject area tutors specifically for courses such as anatomy, anthropology (21,24,26), biology (2,4,6), business administration, economics, geography, German, Italian, math (9 to 124), physics, psychology, sociology, and statistics. In order to be hired as a tutor there are several requirements including a strong background in the course or courses of interest, which means at least a “B” letter grade or higher in the subject and a signed faculty recommendation form in addition to other simple paper work and an orientation session. While tutoring is a paid job, tutors often voice other benefits that typically go unmentioned. One chemistry and math tutor explains, “I like being a tutor because I not only get to help the student, but I also get to keep the material fresh in my mind, which makes it beneficial for both of us.” As a tutor, an individual starts at $7.50 per hour with additional raises as experience increases. Tutors also tend to have very flexible schedules and can choose to work anywhere on campus included the Living and Learning center. Other important benefits include internationally recognized tutor certification, reinforcement of personal knowledge and very importantly, tutors are eligible to receive free tutoring in other subjects. Consider tutoring as an alternative option for work-study or another job and a means of productively interacting with people. For more information on becoming a subject-area tutor contact Dave DiElsi, subject-area tutor coordinator at 656-7964 of [email protected].