Updates from the Educational Policy and Institutional Resources Committee

Brandon Arcari

UVM board of trustees joint educational & institutional resources and budget, finance & investment committees meet to announce new multipurpose center.

The following topics were discussed in the Educational Policy and Institutional Resources committee at the February 2017 board of trustees meeting.

• The committee discussed concerns regarding facilities for gender-neutral bathrooms and changing rooms, in addition to gender-specific facilities in the newly proposed multipurpose center. The committee mentioned the board of trustees is looking for more ways to integrate gender-neutral facilities on campus.

• The committee stated that the Outing Club and Ski and Snowboard Club should have spaces in the new multipurpose center, or in another location on campus. They stated that the Outing Club Haus is “woeful,” and potentially structurally unsound.

• The committee said that there is still $44 million worth of repairs on campus that needs to be addressed. Earlier Feb. 3, the committee of the whole reviewed the deferred maintenance plan, outlining the buildings requiring attention. The Billings Library chimney is in need of reconstruction and Royall Tyler Theatre needs a roof replacement, window renovation and sidewalk replacement. Fleming Museum, Ira Allen Chapel and Waterman also require maintenance. The committee introduced a potential solution for additional maintenance needs, suggesting that unused campus space be rented out to private sector firms, allowing them to put money into restorations. A board member said though Vermont has a culture of historic preservation, the University should not be forced to preserve “ugly, historic buildings” that are expensive, energy inefficient and not ADA compliant.

• At the committee of the whole meeting, Bob Vaughn, director of capital planning and management, said that both the first-year housing complex and STEM building are on-time and on-budget. He said they are expected to be completed as scheduled in May, and the project will enter its second phase in time for the 2017 summer session to begin.

• Wanda Heading-Grant, vice president for human resources, diversity and multicultural affairs, announced the retirement of Dot Brauer, director of the LGBTQA Center, after 25 years with the University.

• During the annual student affairs report, Annie Stevens, vice provost for student affairs, said that CAPS has seen an increase in students seeking services. CAPS sees about 13,000 students a year; to handle this increase, Stevens said CAPS is seeking approval for two more staff counselors.

• Stevens also mentioned the success of the Wellness Environment, stating that WE has a 94 percent retention rate, as opposed to 84 percent for the rest of campus.

• The committee stated that they are looking to build a more conveniently located student health center, noting the current space is not central to campus. The committee mentioned that finding space for a new building is always a challenge, but they are in the process of searching for a new location.