Don’t give yourself party burnout

It was Groundhog Day, and I was ready to turn up.

As per the long-standing tradition—which I had only just heard of that morning—it was customary to gather with friends and get absolutely lit to celebrate the little furry guy’s big day in Pennsylvania.

Due to both a desire to have a fun night, as well as losing at a couple of drinking games, I ended up consuming far more alcohol than I should’ve and woke up with one of the craziest hangovers I’ve experienced in my life so far.

That was only Thursday.

On Friday night, I got a text from one of my boys about going downtown to the bars that night. I wanted to say no because I was still recovering from the previous night, but I hadn’t seen him for a while so I reluctantly agreed.

After a couple hours—and a couple hundred dollars of top shelf liquor—I found myself in the exact same position as the night before.

That morning, I made a solemn vow to myself to take a long, well-needed break from alcohol. 

That was, at least, until another friend texted me.

I found myself at a house party, and roughly a full case of Twisted Tea later, my life was starting to feel more like the film “Groundhog Day” than the actual holiday which had started this series of events.

Another night at the bars awaited me on Sunday, as I went out with a friend who was celebrating a birthday. The outcome of the night was the same as all of the others.

For four days straight, I partied way too hard.

Overdoing partying and the alcohol that comes with it can have negative health effects on your brain, liver and heart, as well as seriously impairing your cognitive function and decision-making, according to a Sept. 22, 2017 Men’s Health article

I woke up Monday morning never wanting to leave my apartment ever again. The thought of going out with friends made me, quite literally, feel sick to my stomach. 

Eventually, I heard through the grapevine about some functions happening during the upcoming week from some of my friends. I turned them down faster than my mind could even process what they were.

I became fully allergic to parties.

It took me about two months, but eventually I was able to feel okay enough to start going out again. Ever since this particular bender, I strictly limit myself to partying once per week, and I am very aware of my alcohol intake.

The images in my head of those notorious consecutive parties have faded, but the memories of how I felt after those four straight days of intense festivity, however, will never be forgotten.

Let this serve as a cautionary tale for anyone who likes to go out and have fun—please pace yourself.

Going too far may lead you to come to hate the very thing that makes you so happy in a fleeting moment.