1-0 loss to University of California signals end of women’s field hockey season

Jamie Kaplan
UVM women’s field hockey loses 2-1 against UAlbany Oct. 27.

After an up-and-down 8-9 season, the women’s field hockey team faced the No. 4 ranked University of California Golden Bears in the quarterfinals of the America East playoff.

The Golden Bears offense, one of the more prolific units this season, was shut down in the first period by the Catamount defense. In fact, not a single shot on goal was recorded by either team in the opening period.

UVM’s offense was able to record four shots on goal in the second period, but a defensive mindset was still very much present as both the second and third periods passed with no goals.

However, it would be a goal by grad student forward Daniella Rhodes with eight minutes remaining that gave the lead to the Golden Bears.

This lead would be defended until the final buzzer, allowing the University of California to advance to the semifinals and send Vermont back home to conclude their season.

Vermont has now lost their first eight appearances in the America East playoffs, and will have to look to 2024 to try again.

Despite the loss, a special accomplishment occurred on the field that day, with grad student Haley Buffenbarger officially having started in every collegiate game of her career, 81 total.