2014-2015: A year in highlights

This year, varsity sports teams experienced season changing moments, incredible victories and highlight reel worthy plays. From Gutterson Fieldhouse to the ski slopes of Lake Placid, New York, members of the Cynic sports staff breakdown their favorite sporting moments at UVM in 2014-2015.

Nov. 8, 2014: Men’s soccer playoff success

Eribert Volaj: “The Catamounts’ 2-1 win against the University of Albany Nov. 8 is my pick for the way it was earned and what it meant for UVM soccer. This game was played for the America East Tournament quarterfinals in Albany New York. Two great assists by first-year Jaime Miralles, and an 86th minute game-winning goal by sophomore Bernard Yeboah were the highlights of the game. This win was the Catamounts’ first playoff win since 2008, according to UVM athletics.”

Dec. 6, 2014: The Harvard overtime thriller

Jack Estrin: “I would have to say that the men’s basketball team’s narrow double overtime loss against Harvard University was one of the biggest moments of the year. It was the beginning of the season, and Harvard had been ranked in the top 25. The game was exciting all the way through and the crowd was as electric as I’ve ever seen it. Although UVM lost the game, I think that the loss proved to be a confidence booster and was a stepping-stone for things to come.”

Feb. 28, 2014: Indoor track star dominates

Cam Panepinto: “One of the most important UVM sports moment of this year, in my eyes, was senior Martin Kallur being named the 2015 New England indoor champion in the men’s heptathlon at the New England Indoor Championships at the Boston University Track and Field Center.  ‘Kallur won the event with 5,299 points, which broke his own school record set at Harvard to begin the indoor season. The junior won four of the seven events to claim the men’s title by nearly 200 points,’ according to UVM athletics.”

Mar. 8, 2015: Men’s hockey wins in overtime

Alex Benoît: “I think the biggest sports moment of the year was when junior Jon Turk scored the overtime winner against UMaine in Game 3 of the Hockey East quarterfinals March 8. It set the stage for the biggest series of the season against Boston College and was a heck of a game to watch in terms of the pace of play and how leadership really stepped up. It was great for the Cats to get a win in their last game at the Gut during the 2014-2015 season and even better that it was scored in overtime off the rush.”

Mar. 11, 2015: Nordic victorious at nationals

Zach Giroux: “A shining moment that left Catamount country star-struck was when UVM Alpine skier Dom Garand brought home a national title in slalom during the 2015 NCAA ski championships. A victory at this stage under such a spotlight puts UVM on a podium of its own, solidifying the men and women’s ski teams as an elite program. Garand that will go down in Vermont record books as the 55th skier to win such an award. This will forever be a lasting memory in the historic legacy of UVM athletics.”

Mar. 28, 2015: Roach scores seven goals in win

Fredric Fields: “The best Vermont sports moment of the year was definitely women’s lacrosse senior Jessica Roach putting up seven goals against University of Maryland, Baltimore County to lead the Cats to victory 11-10. That kind of individual performance is always awe inspiring. She truly put the team on her back for that game.”