Catamount lacrosse collapses in third

The April 20 lacrosse game between Vermont and Dartmouth was truly a tale of two halves.

The Big Green picked up the win by a score of 18-13, improving their record to 4-6. Vermont fell to 3-10 overall with the defeat.

Both teams came out aggressive and traded goals early in the opening quarter, but that would be as close as the Catamounts would get for the rest of the game.  Dartmouth senior Ari Sussman scored consecutive goals to give the Big Green a two-goal advantage at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter provided a large amount of offense, with both teams tallying five goals.

Drew Philie registered three goals and an assist in the period and Rory O’Connor scored a late goal to keep the score close at 8-6 going into the half.

For Vermont, this was the closest it would be for the rest of the game.

Dartmouth came roaring out of the half and scored six goals in the period and were able to hold the Cats to just one. 

That goal scored by A.J. Masson would be the last Vermont would have for an extended period of time, as the Big Green was able to hold them scoreless from the 13:09 mark in the third quarter until the 9:55 mark of the fourth.

Dartmouth had scored eight consecutive goals and the score stood at 17-7.

The Cats tried desperately to scratch and claw their way back into the game, but even a strong fourth quarter, in which they outscored Dartmouth 6-4, was not enough.

Vermont’s fourth quarter run was highlighted by a play where, recently subbed in as goalie, Alex Plavnor stopped a Dartmouth shot and proceeded to run through their defense on his way to a goal.

The atmosphere following the game was not a happy one for the Catamounts, but they will have a chance at redemption with a home game against UMBC on April 24 at 12 p.m.