Cats control the ice: Women’s hockey dominate McGill in season-opening exhibition

Jamie Kaplan
UVM women’s ice hockey wins 6-0 against McGill their first game at Gutterson Fieldhouse of the season.

UVM fans and students made their long-awaited return to Gutterson Fieldhouse last Sunday as they watched the highly anticipated season debut of this year’s women’s hockey team. The Catamounts took the ice against McGill University.

Right out of the gates, Vermont already appeared to be in midseason form. Senior forward Maddy Skelton scored the first goal just four minutes into the game. Senior defenseman Bella Parento found the back of the net on a power play less than two minutes later, making the lead 2–0.   

Vermont continued their attack in the first period with a nearly identical two-goal sequence. Grad student forward Hailey Burns joined the scoring effort with the Cats’ second power play goal of the period, followed by another lead-extending goal by fellow graduate student forward Lily Humphrey just over two minutes later. 

By the end of the first period, UVM had a commanding 4-0 lead, courtesy of four different Catamounts, all while allowing zero shots on goal. 

The offensive outburst continued when UVM senior forward Natálie Mlýnková scored less than 30 seconds into the second period. The goal capped off an eight-shot, three-point performance by the senior. From that point on, the Cats were on cruise control, killing time and keeping McGill from getting on the board. 

By the third period, Vermont had a comfortable 5-0 lead while only conceding four total shots. McGill managed to fire off four more shots before the game ended, but no goals were scored. Sophomore forward Lara Beecher scored Vermont’s sixth and final goal, capping off a dominant 6-0 shutout performance.