Club team spotlight of the week

The wait is finally over! The ski season has officially begun here in the Green Mountain state and no one could be happier than the Club Freeskiing Team. The trails are white, and the excitement is building, as members of this club team get ready to hit the slopes of their “home turf” mountain of Stowe.

The Freeskiing Team, formerly referred to as the Freestyle Ski Team, is made up of dedicated students who share an interest in competing and developing both as individuals and as a unit. Despite the laid-back atmosphere, admittance to this club does require moderate to advanced park and pipe skills and the ability to compete during the season.

New Coach Noah Labow has joined the UVM Freeskiing family this past year after previously founding the Johnson State Freeskiing Team in the 98-99 season, and then going onto coaching for Carrabassett Valley Academy in Maine. Labow has many goals for his Catamounts and says that he is “extremely excited” to work with the team daily to “progress talent level, competitive presence, and simply improve the skiers.”

The team is only a few years old, however the number of participants has gotten up to 51 members this season! When they aren’t out on the slopes the team practices indoors on trampoline beds at the Green Mountain Gymnastics Center, helping them prepare for the wintery wonderland waiting for them outside it’s doors.

Members get a season pass to Stowe, from which they can be transported back and forth via two vans the team provides thanks to their sponsors such as Skirack and Stowe itself. Another perk of being on the team is the ability to meet new people and make friends from all over campus!