Men’s basketball beats Bryant in important weekend battle

Courtesy of Alex Weiss
Men’s basketball wins against Bryant 65-48 Feb. 24

The Catamounts secured, at the very least, a share of their eight straight America East regular season title as the squad took down the Bulldogs of Bryant University 65-48.

The UVM defense presented themselves early and slowed down the elite Bulldog offense. Despite the cold starts for both offenses, both teams showed sparks as the game progressed.

Bryant went on a quick 8-0 run that UVM quickly responded to with a 9-0 run of their own.

The remainder of the first half continued with back-and-forth play from both squads, ending with Bryant up 27-25 going into the break.

For the first minutes of the second half, Bryant came out swinging, building a comfortable seven point lead. Junior guard TJ Long responded to the attack, converting two straight from the three-point line.

Long, along with junior guard Shamir Bogues, continued the Catamount push and soon found themselves in control of the game.

The long-range shots continued to drop for the Cats, while the Bryant attack slowed down. Graduate guard Aaron Deloney hit two three-pointers himself, extending the Vermont lead to as great as 12 with 4:40 remaining in the game.

Junior forward Illeri Ayo-Faleye ended the night with an athletic up-and-under layup, as the Cats cruised through the final few minutes to secure their 13th conference win of the season.

The Catamounts look to close out the regular season, and capture a complete share of the regular season title, as they host the second place UMass Lowell River Hawks next Saturday at 3 p.m.