Road trip recap

It was a week of travel for the Catamounts as different squads faced a slate of away games around the Eastern United States. 

Women’s Field Hockey (9/15-16)

Women’s field hockey faced two opponents this week: the Iowa Hawkeyes and Merrimack Warriors. 

The Hawkeyes, the No. 1 ranked field hockey program in the country, improved to a record of 7-0 after a 5-0 win against the Catamounts. Iowa’s offense was firing on all cylinders as they outshot Vermont 14-4 and saw a hat trick from first-year midfielder Dionne van Aalsum. 

Vermont took on the Merrimack Warriors the next day. The Catamounts outshot the Warriors 13-3 and took home a 4-0 victory. Early goals from grad student forward Maddie Moran and junior forward Lotte Kanters set the tone for the game, and two late goals from sophomore forward Sofia Lefranc bolstered the win. 

Men’s Soccer (9/16)

Men’s soccer, coming off a three-match win streak, looked to keep the momentum in their favor as they traveled to Cambridge, Mass. this weekend to play a match against the Harvard Crimson. 

After a penalty kick by redshirt junior Yaniv Bazini put the Catamounts up 1-0 17 minutes in, the match turned into a defensive battle which saw 33 fouls. Harvard tied the match 77 minutes in with a penalty kick from senior midfielder Willem Ebbinge.

Both defensive units remained locked down for the rest of the half with no more goals scored, resulting in a 1-1 tie. 

Women’s Soccer (9/17)

Women’s soccer traveled north to face the undefeated University of Maine Black Bears. After a slow start to the first half for both teams, sophomore winger Lauren DeGroot gained the lead for the Catamounts. 

After a quick goal by junior forward Abby Kraemer, the second half saw Maine continue to attack Vermont’s end of the pitch with ten shots on goal and five corner kicks.

DeGroot scored again to put the Catamounts up 2-1 with 14 minutes of play remaining. However, two late goals scored within a minute of each other by freshman defender Luise Reinwald and sophomore forward Jordane Pinette pushed Maine into the lead where they would remain to win the match 3-2.