Sports in short

Quote of the week

“Garnett needs to calm the f*ck down.”

-Spike Lee, Filmmaker

In an interview regarding Kevin Garnett’s passionate verbal style of play — referring to a comment that Garnett supposedly directed at Lee himself.

Boss of the week: Aaron Rodgers

His Super Bowl numbers? 24 of 39 passes completed for 304 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions. Before this season, Rodgers appeared in only one postseason game as year after year he sat behind Favre, waiting for his chance.

In the most clutch performance of his life, Rodgers led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory for the first time since Favre did it in 1997. Rodgers did what Favre never accomplished — he earned MVP honors too.

Goat of the week: Cleveland Cavaliers

As much as I hate to give LeBron justification for his choice to leave them, the Cavs just suck without him. After dropping their 25th straight to the Mavs on Monday, Feb. 5, Cleveland set the NBA record for most consecutive losses.

Sorry Dan Gilbert, but it looks like your chances of winning a championship before the “King” does may be a bit of a long shot. Maybe next year? Probably not. Oh yeah, the next night James gave the Heat 41 points and 13 rebounds. What a dick.

UVM men’s lacrosse ranked fifth in preseason poll

The fifth-ranked men’s lacrosse team will have their work cut out for them, as only the top four teams in America East advance to the conference tournament.

Yet with sophomore Drew Philie — America East Rookie of the Year last year — and the top five scorers from last season’s team returning this season, a tournament berth is not out of reach. They open their 2011 season on Feb. 20 against Colgate at 1 p.m.

UVM ski team wins third straight carnival

UVM captured their third straight carnival win on their own slopes, while racking up over 1,000 points for the second time in three carnivals.

Junior Amy Glen was named Women’s Nordic Skier of the Week to commend her second place finish in the 15k classic and her fifth place finish in the 5k freestyle.