Sports Shorts

Women’s lacrosse falls to the Eagles

The Boston College Eagles defeated the Catamounts 14-10 on March 24.  The Eagles came out strong and gained a 3-0 lead within the first seven minutes of the game.

This didn’t stop the Catamounts as they came back to score seven goals and take a 7-4 lead. They didn’t hold the lead for long, Boston College got back on top with a six-goal run.

Boston had a 10-7 lead over Vermont with only 35 seconds remaining in the first half.  With a goal by senior Kaitlyn Johnson, Vermont was trailing by only two.  The Eagles outscored the Catamounts in the second half and won the game 14-10.

Kaitlyn Johnson and sophomore Samantha Stern both earned hat tricks.  Sophomore goalkeeper Laura Barber made five saves for the Catamounts.

Vermont fell to 2-5 overall on the season.

Men’s lacrosse loses in overtime

The lacrosse team took on St. John’s on Saturday, March 20.  St. John’s was up by four when the halftime whistle blew. 

Vermont overcame this deficit and managed to take the lead 7-6 with only five minutes remaining in the game. 

St. John’s didn’t let up and scored a tying goal with only 35 seconds left in the game, bringing the game into overtime.

With only four minutes left in overtime, St. John’s scored, giving them an 8-7 victory over the Catamounts.

Vermont’s main scorers included sophomores Geoff Worley and Rory O’Connor, each with a pair of goals.

Freshman Drew Philie, junior Derek Lichtfuss and junior Max Gradinger also scored goals.
UVM’s next game,  which is against Binghamton on April 3, will be played at home. UVM’s current record stands at 1-5.