Sports: Sports shorts

Lenes selected for skills competition

UVM senior assistant captain for the men’s hockey team Peter Lenes was honored this week with an invite to the annual Frozen Four Skills Challenge, held in Washington, D.C., on April 10.
The competition includes puck control relay, fastest skater, hardest shot, rapid fire shooting, accuracy shooting and penalty shot.
Lenes, a Vermont native, is one of six male position players selected from the East for the competetion. The competition features an East vs. West format with six male position players, six female position players, two male goaltenders and two female goaltenders for each squad.
Tickets for the event are on sale for $10 at the Verizon Center box office.

Strong earns sportsmanship nod

UVM men’s hockey senior captain Dean Strong added another recognition to his resume this past week after being named the 2009 Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award winner in Hockey East.
A two-time captain, Strong has never missed any of the 152 games played during his career at UVM, and just recently moved into 35th for all-time scoring at UVM.
Strong, who is well known by fans and Hockey East players as an effective and respectable player, has also put himself in line for a national distinction. As of March 22, he remains in contention for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award, which honors players who have succeeded in terms of the classroom, community, character and competition.

Men’s lacrosse loses in Patriot Cup

The UVM men’s lacrosse team took part in a charitable effort this past weekend, competing against the undefeated No. 3 Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the Patriot Cup.
Senior Andrew Kelleher continued his offensive attack on the season, scoring four goals on the game to bring his team-leading totals to 24 points and 20 goals.
However, Kelleher’s scoring was not enough for the Cats to overcome the dominant Fighting Irish — led by senior Ryan Hoff’s game-high five goals — as Vermont fell 13-7 in the contest.
With the loss, the Cats fell to 3-3 on the season and fourth place in the America East Conference.
Although the Catamounts fell, the loss comes with the knowledge that all proceeds from the game will be donated to the Wounded Warrior Foundation, a non-profit group that aids soldiers from the U.S. Armed Forces who were severely injured in Iraq, Afghanistan or in other military combat.
The Cats’ schedule doesn’t get any easier this coming week,as Vermont looks to take on No. 14 Brown Tuesday afternoon at Moulton Winder Field, followed by their first America East action of the season at home against the Hartford Hawks.

Rubgy club returns from Ireland

UVM Men’s Rugby club ventured to Ireland during spring break, the homeland of club coach Beclan Connolley.
The team played three clubs and universities in an international effort to improve as a team, which is already one of the nation’s elite clubs.