Star wide receiver has to mature in order to succeed

Odell Beckham, Jr. needs to grow up.
The New York Giants’ star wide receiver has been the talk of sports media over the past week for his repeated antics in the team’s first four games this season.

Beckham started his career under the radar of many opposing defenses, which led to a breakout rookie season in 2014, where he won the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

He made incredible catches in his first seasons in the league, and these highlight plays made him a fan favorite in the NFL.

Recently, however, the narrative about Beckham has changed.

Toward the end of the 2015 season, he was suspended for one game due to an egregious hit to defensive back Josh Norman’s head.

He was also disciplined by the league multiple times for taunting and unnecessary roughness penalties.

Defenses found out the best way to stop Beckham was to get under his skin.

At the beginning of the 2016 season, Beckham’s third season in the NFL, opposing defensive backs started to deploy mental warfare as their main way of stopping him.

Beckham Jr. faced off against Josh Norman again in week three of the season, and he consistently baited Beckham into fights away from the play.

Even though Beckham put up solid individual numbers, he was lured into committing a key penalty and failed to score, and the Giants’ lost to the Washington Redskins 29-27.

Beckham took out his anger on the sidelines by punching a practice kicking net, which fell back and hit him in the eye.

On the sidelines during the game, instead of going over plays for their next possession, Giants head coach Ben McAdoo and quarterback Eli Manning had to console their star receiver, who was visibly crying on the bench during the game.

In their next game against the Minnesota Vikings, Beckham played one of the worst games of his career, where he was held to only 23 receiving yards, the lowest single-game total of his career.

The Vikings defensive backs successfully tricked Beckham into losing his composure and focus on the game, who picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for hitting a Vikings player out of bounds after the play was over.

He refused to own up for his mistakes and poor play after the game, where he laughably stated that no opponent that he played against got in his head.

Beckham needs to realize that the game is not all about him.

Although he’s arguably the most talented man on the roster, he needs to keep his focus and stop costing his team victories.

Beckham played a great game against the Green Bay Packers Oct. 9, where he scored his first touchdown in five games and kept his cool throughout the game. It was a good start for Beckham’s redemption, but the Packers are known for having one of the weakest defenses in the NFL.

For Beckham to take the next step in his career, he needs to prove he can keep his composure against talented defenses, who will all be trying to throw him off his game.