Starting tomorrow, students can attend outdoor sports games

LUKAS DRAUGELIS/The Vermont Cynic

Men’s soccer midfielder Joe Morrison, a sophomore, dribbles up the field, Nov. 13. The team lost 3-2 in overtime to Hartford University, ending UVM’s season.

Max Clifford, Cynic Sports Reporter

Tickets for UVM students to attend outdoor athletic events in-person will be available to students beginning this Friday, March 19, according to an email from the UVM Athletic Department. 

For the first time since the 2019-2020 winter season UVM athletics will see in-person attendants. The number of available tickets will be limited to 150 with physical distance between seats and face masks required at all times. 

“Any UVM student who has successfully met their COVID testing requirement will be able to claim one of 150 tickets for field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer, and men’s and women’s lacrosse games,” read the joint statement from UVM athletics and SGA. 

This rolling back of restrictions regarding attendance comes as a result of recently updated regulations from the Vermont Department of Health which allow outdoor gatherings of this size. 

UVM men’s soccer will face off against the New Jersey Institute of Technology this Friday at 2 p.m. in the first UVM athletic event with spectators in attendance since last winter. 

Operations will look different with designated available seats and absolutely no food or drink allowed. 

UVM students will be eligible to claim one of each event’s limited tickets at the UVM Athletics website.

In the event of a game selling out ahead of time, students without tickets will be able to wait in a standby line outside the ticket gate and will be admitted if expected capacity is not reached.