The Catamount winter break update

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team is currently 10-6 along with placing third in its division this season, after sweeping the America East Championship last year.

Luke Apfeld and Sandro Carissimo are the leading scorers this season.  Brian Voelkel leads the team in rebounds and assists with 8.3 RPG and 4.1 APG.  First year recruit Ethan O’Day has been a nice addition to the Catamounts, averaging 6.1 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team has struggled this year at a 5-11 record.  They are 5-1 at home, but 0-10 on the road.  Despite their struggles, these Catamounts are ranked third place in the America East division due to a 2-1 record within the league.  

Niki Taylor and Tierra Shumpert currently lead the Cats in scoring. However multiple players have contributed this season as that title has switched 11 different times.  

Senior captain Lauren Buschmann has been named one of the top post players in the America East, as she dominates when it comes to rebounding.

Men’s Hockey

After a very disappointing 2011-12 season with a 6-27-1 record, the men’s hockey team has matched last year’s win total with a 6-11-4 record.  The team is currently in seventh place in the league.  

Besides a game against Penn State, every game for the rest of the 2013 season is a match against a Hockey East rival, leaving ample time to rise in the ranks before the Hockey East Tournament on March 15th

Women’s Hockey

The Women’s Hockey team led by head coach Jim Plumer is 6-12-2 this year and is fifth in the division.  They are 4-4-2 within the conference and 12 of their next 13 opponents are Hockey East teams.  Goalie Roxanne Douville has had a good year, earning a career high 55 saves against Boston College.

Skiing

The defending NCAA champs added three new skiiers to the team this season: Dom Garand, Morgan Magerry and Taylor Rapley.  Vermont finished in first place in the first two Slalom races of the UVM Carnival.  Travis Dawson and Kristina RiisJohannesen both finished in first place on Saturday.

Jimmy Cochran, a former Olympian and UVM alumni, was named the assistant alpine coach for the ski team.

Swimming and Diving

The members of the swimming and diving team are currently 8-3 in the pool. After having won the three-day Central Connecticut State University Invitational.  

UVM’s 200-meter freestyle relay team broke the CCSU pool record and the UVM first-year record. Vermont also finished fifth place at the 2013 Orange Bowl Swim Classic on Jan 3.

Other headlines include Christa Weaver and Ilsa Feirarabend who have both been named America East Swimmer of the week this season. 

Head coach Gerry Cournover has also announced five new recruits for the upcoming season in the fall of 2013.  

The new additions to the team include Claire Rutscher of Stillwater, Minn., Courtney Kent of Cumberland, R.I., Sarah Olsen of Richland, Wash., Lauren Punger of Bellows Falls, Vt. and finally Sarah Mantz of Hartford Conn.