The unfortunate tale: NHL Sochi snubs

On the heels of the roster announcement for the Sochi Olympic Games, the top news for hockey fans is not who will represent their countries, but rather who didn’t make the cut.

For the U.S., talented players such as Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson and Keith Yandle are three of the U.S. players who have been left off the Sochi roster.

Ryan is ranked fourth in goals among U.S. scorers, Johnson is a 10 time national team selection and Yandle is not only one of the best puck moving defensemen in the business, but he also ranks fourth among all NHL defensemen with 230 points in 402 games.

Canada is looking to preserve their 2010 gold medal while dealing with some controversy regarding who they have left off their 2014 Sochi roster.

Joe Thornton of the San Jose Sharks, Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers and former Catamount Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lightning are all captains for their respective NHL teams, but were not picked by coach Steve Yzerman to represent the Canadian faithful.

With so much talent on the team, it is reasonable to assume that Yzerman did not pick the trio of captains because of the fact that Canada has so much depth.

From a different angle, the decision to leave these veteran players off the roster is unfortunate because older guys like 38-year-old St. Louis and 34-year-old Thornton may not have another chance to compete on the Olympic stage.

I came across a Sports Blog Nations article stating, “Ryan, Thornton, St. Louis declare Slovenian citizenship.”

Eureka! Originally I thought these Olympic snubs could just causally apply for Slovenian citizenship with no strings attached.

To my dismay, the article regrets to inform that, “This is satire. Good luck to Kopitar and his actual Slovenian teammates in Sochi.”

It was not the lack of truth and credibility that stuck out to me in this article, but the overall message that it conveys.

These players have showed they can perform at an Olympic level in the NHL, yet are still not given the chance to represent their countries in Sochi.

This parody news article is a story that reveals the frustration of these players who didn’t make the team despite their reputations and skills as world-class hockey players.

The article’s informality informs hockey fans that these players believe they are being treated unfairly by their homelands and would go to extremes to play alongside their fellow countrymen in the upcoming Olympics.