UVM athletic director steps down after 13 years

UVM Associate Vice President and Athletic Director Robert Corran is pictured. He announced his retirement Oct. 22. PHOTO BY Patrick Langlois

UVM Associate Vice President and Athletic Director Robert Corran is stepping down after 13 years with the athletic department. Corran announced his retirement in a staff meeting Oct. 22.

Corran signed a three-year contract extension in 2013 for approximately $235,000 per year that will expire in June 2016 with an option for one additional year, according to UVM athletics. Corran’s departure will not be effective immediately, he will serve the remainder of his tenure till the end of next year’s calendar school year, officially set for June 30, 2016, according to UVM athletics.

“I have been considering this decision for the past year, and have concluded that the time is right for myself, for my family, and for UVM,” Corran said at the press conference. The long term administrator, who is his mid-60s, has been in command of the Catamounts athletic program since 2003, according to UVM athletics. “I have had 13 wonderful years at UVM and I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished, where the program is today, and its promise for the future,” Corran said at the press conference.

During his time at UVM, Corran has accomplished more than his fair share over the years, he has a built a resumé that speaks for itself. Achievements throughout Corran’s career include: seven consecutive America East Academic Cups, three NCAA men’s hockey tournament appearances and a return to the Frozen Four in 2009 and multiple 20-win seasons and NCAA appearances in men’s basketball.

Corran helped improve the UVM athletic complex, including completion of Moulton Winder Field, Frank H. Livak Track, Virtue Field, Athletic Performance Center, according to UVM athletics. “[Corran’s] commitment to the academic success of our student-athletes always has been paramount, and he has instilled a strong culture of caring, effective leadership and communication among our coaches, staff, and student-athletes,” UVM President Tom Sullivan said, according to UVM athletics.

Corran is ready to depart from UVM and said he looks forward to opportunities in the future. “I very much look forward to spending more time with my family and to having the opportunity for extended travel, something which my wife Libby and I enjoy greatly and which we plan to do in the future,” Corran said at the press conference. A nationwide search to fill the athletic director position is currently underway, according to UVM athletics.