Filed under Archives, Sports

UVM cycling club’s triumph earns respect

After their overall victory at the Boston Beanpot Classic three weekends ago, the UVM cycling club is once again on track to become a nationally ranked team, junior club member Jeffrey Caisse said.

“[The cycling club] had been nationally ranked in previous years,” Caisse said. “The team is progressing a lot and gaining more talented riders.” The club’s success culminated at the Boston Beanpot Classic, where – according to the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference Web site – UVM placed first, beating the likes of Boston University, Tufts and a number of other Northeastern cycling teams.

“The Boston Beanpot was a really big race,” Caisse said. Caisse, who has been a member of the club since he was a freshman, said he has seen the team’s success building up a lot over the last few years, in part thanks to the hard work of members who have since graduated.

“[The cycling club’s] success was set up by previous riders that graduated in 2006,” Caisse said.

“Now, we have a lot of riders doing really well and working together to help each other out.”

Caisse said most of the races are team races, making it necessary for riders to work together and in some cases to sacrifice their personal results in for that of the team’s.

The team-first strategy has been paying off. Caisse said the team has placed in the top five in their conference at the two previous meets before their victory in Boston.

The club wrapped up the season at the conference championship in Dartmouth this weekend.