UVM Defeats No. 4 Clarkson After Previous Night’s Loss

Morale was low for the Lady Catamounts on Saturday evening, coming off a 4-0 shutout on Friday against the Clarkson Golden Knights.

But Saturday was a different night. When the two teams met on the ice for a second time at Gutterson Fieldhouse, UVM would come away with the 4-1 victory. 

When Clarkson scored within the first two minutes after the referee dropped the puck, things were not starting well for Vermont.

“We knew that we could stick with them, we were with them all game yesterday and we were coming for them today.  Everyone was leaving everything out on the ice,” said sophomore Kailey Nash who was named the first star of the game.

But with good defensive plays, the women’s team was able to hold Clarkson from that point on. 

“We talked about upping the intensity level.  We really felt like we were not playing with the same enthusiasm and energy as last night,” said UVM head coach Tim Bothwell. “We all wanted to but we weren’t doing it physically and we just had to challenge ourselves to be that much better”.

The team came into the second period with much more intensity and within the first seven minutes of the period, junior Saleah Morrison found the back of the net.

Nine minutes later, sophomore Kailey Nash, who was named the Pure Hockey Player of the Week in the Hockey East, was able to get the puck from a rebound and find the back of the net. This goal is her third this season.

“We just needed to put some goals in the back of the net. I mean we got going with Morrison, she scored one and then from there we were just on a roll,” said Nash. “I mean it was exciting to get the winner for the team and I’m happy.”

With less than a minute left in the second period, freshman Emily Walsh, got her first goal here at UVM, and brought the game to 3-1.

In the final minute, junior Celeste Doucet found the open net and got UVM their final goal of the game, cementing the 4-1 win.

Senior goalie, Kristen Olychuck made 26 saves, helping UVM keep in the lead.

“You know, I think that the win tonight just shows that when were playing our best, we can beat anybody,” Bothwell said. “It’s a huge win for us, in terms of our confidence.  And especially the way it happened, after sort of a so-so mediocre first period and then not playing down, and playing rough for two periods.”