UVM graduate’s company pushes eco-friendly items

A snowboarder wearing Powe products hits a jump last winter with Powe’s snowboard the “Vt. Chedda Shredda,” Powe currently offers five snowboards on their website, with three only available for pre-order in anticipation of this year’s season. PHOTO COURTESY OF POWE SNOWBOARDS

A new snowboard brand has etched its name into the frosty slopes of Vermont: the homemade and eco-minded Powe.  The brand’s name is pronounced “Pow.” The “e” stands for environment and education, the cornerstone of their business model.

In August of 2014, Powe Snowboards came to life in the downtown Burlington apartment of alumnus Adam Vindigni and junior TJ Thran.  Vindigni is the CEO and an artist for the company, Thran is the team captain of the riders.

“Powe Snowboard Company is about friendship, passion and a unifying love for the environment,” Thran said.  “A company that would break the norms of traditional snowboard manufacturing and take to mother nature for inspiration and design,” he said.

The two “hippies at heart” envisioned an eco-conscious design that is recreational using alternative renewable waste products to make their pipe dream into a reality.

“We know the wheel works and aren’t trying to reinvent it,” Vindigni said. “We are marketing to snowboarders who want a board that will allow them to do anything and everything.”

The boarders’ hopes relied on replaced plastics, carbon fibers, hemp, bamboo, poplar, maple and bio-resin product resources.  The end result was an extremely lightweight and flexible board that doesn’t compromise on stability, Vindigni said.  Powe’s products are designed to suit every type of rider from beginner to professional, Thran said.

“One year later, we have made leaps and bounds beyond what we ever could have imagined,” Vindigni said.  “After forming a team of riders more dedicated to the shred than a yeti, it was a miracle we all made it out of senior year alive,” he said.

Powe has been grinding to make their industry and the Burlington area a greener place to live and shred.

“I bought a board from Powe last year and have loved it,” senior Dave Landay said. “It fits my riding style perfectly.”

Business has been booming recently Powe has just finished celebrating their one year anniversary.  

With new apparel being produced on a monthly basis and their second line of snowboards being released alongside growing local partnerships, Powe is an increasingly recognizable brand, Vindigni said.

With winter approaching, Powe will be hosting a back toschool sale during the first two weeks of the fall semester.