Vermont continues home field dominance in victory over Siena College

Photo Courtesy of UVM Athletics
University of Vermont Men’s Soccer wins 1-0 against Siena on Virtue Field Sept. 19.

On a brisk fall night at Virtue Field, UVM men’s soccer remained undefeated on their home turf. 

The Catamounts, who currently hold a 5-0 record at Virtue Field and a 5-1-1 record overall, went back and forth with the Siena College Saints throughout the first half. Vermont pulled ahead, though, on a quickly executed free kick by senior midfielder Carter Johnson. 

Johnson’s game-winning shot in the 54th minute of play broke through the Siena defense and put Vermont up for good.

The No. 8 ranked Catamounts put pressure on the scoring box throughout the first half of action with nine shots, before tacking on another seven in the second half to outshoot Siena 16-5. Much of the game was played in the midfield with the ball turning over frequently. 

No. 143 ranked Siena was never outmatched but was certainly tested by Vermont’s powerful ball control and movement from midfield through the goal box. 

Siena never threatened to break through UVM’s defense in either half of play, and redshirt senior goalkeeper Owen Jack didn’t have to make a save throughout the contest. 

Redshirt junior forward Yaniv Bazani also shined throughout the contest, leading the Vermont offense while taking six shots and assisting Johnson in the play of the game. 

The Catamounts prepare to open conference play at Bryant University on September 23, before returning home to try to keep up their Virtue Field magic in conference competition against UMass Lowell on September 26.