Women’s basketball starts regular season with a win against Miami University of Ohio

Photo courtesy of Ryan Manley
UVM women’s basketball wins 60-48 against Miami University of Ohio Nov. 6

The UVM women’s basketball team opened up regular season play with a 60-48 win over Miami University.

From the beginning, both squads showed their defensive presences. UVM forced four turnovers in the first three minutes of the game. Miami would hold the Catamounts to a shaky 2-8 shooting record to start the quarter.

After the slow start, both offenses began to heat up. Grad student guard Emma Utterback would tally seven of the Catamounts’ 13 points in the quarter. The quarter ended with the Catamounts leading 13-12.

The second quarter continued the back-and-forth play from both sides. UVM scored on four consecutive possessions, but would enter a scoring drought soon after.

Utterback would bring relief, however, making a tough lay-up to end the Catamounts’ drought and the quarter. UVM would go into the half leading 26-25.

The Catamounts started the second half strong with great efforts on both sides of the ball. UVM capitalized on multiple defensive stops, and shot a strong 4-6 from the field.

After playing a limited offensive role in the first half, senior forward Anna Olson would start her scoring rampage in the second half. Olson scored 11 of her 20 points in the quarter, contributing to the 41-36 lead at the end of the quarter.

The fourth quarter would be all Catamounts. Junior guard Bella Vito converted the halfs’ lone three-point basket, providing the Catamounts with a comfortable eight point cushion. The UVM defense would continue their strong night, holding Miami scoreless until the 5:51 mark in the quarter.

Olson would put the game away by converting a transition layup at the 1:47 mark, to put the Catamounts ahead 56-44. The final score would end up being 60-48.