Women’s field hockey moves up in conference standings after match against Bryant

Photo Courtesy of Alex Weiss
UVM women’s field hockey takes on Stanford University Oct. 6

The UVM field hockey team moved to 3-3 in conference play with a win over the Bryant University Bulldogs on Friday, Oct. 13.

The Catamounts, who have now won back-to-back games, possess a 6-8 overall record but remain in the thick of the America East conference standings. Vermont, who decidedly beat UC Davis 8-2 the prior Sunday, kept their offensive momentum as they put up five points against Bryant in a decisive win.

Junior forward Alina Gerke found herself in the thick of the action last Friday, as she assisted first-year forward Lily Leipracht in helping to get the Catamounts on the board early. Just seconds later, Gerke put a goal in, doubling the Catamount’s lead and setting the tone for the day.

From there, Vermont added another goal in the first quarter, before tacking one on in the second and fourth quarters as well. Junior forward Lotte Kathers shined in the offensive onslaught, scoring on the day.

UVM, who now finds itself in a three-way tie for the fourth spot in the America East standings, is in a playoff position going into the final stretch of regular season play.

The Catamounts will return home to face off against the University of Maine—who have lost two in a row themselves—on Oct. 20 in a matchup that will have major ramifications for the playoff conference seeding.

Vermont will finish out its season at home against the University of Albany—5-1 in conference play—on Friday, Oct. 27.