Women’s ice hockey prevails in battle with UNH; Climbs standings

Jamie Kaplan
UVM women’s ice hockey wins 6-3 against UNH on Oct. 27.

The UVM women’s ice hockey team moved to the No. 2 standing in the Hockey East division after defeating their rival, the University of New Hampshire Wildcats, in back-to-back games at Gutterson Fieldhouse over the weekend

On Friday Oct. 27, Vermont found itself down early after the Wildcats drew first blood six minutes into the opening frame. The Cats were able to even the score in the final minute of the first period when first-year forward Rose Marie Brochu came through with her second goal in as many weeks.

The score continued to change between teams, with UNH taking the advantage in the early minutes of the second period when grad student forward Jada Christien and junior forward Shea Verrier worked together to put the Wildcats up 2-1.

Senior forward Natálie Mlýnková evened the score with a strong wrist shot just under three minutes later. UNH proved resilient, though, as they responded in less than two minutes to regain the lead. Mlýnková once again showed her skill on the ice, intercepting the puck in the neutral zone before backhanding yet another game tying shot to make it 3-3.

UVM stunned the Wildcats by striking twice in the early minute of the third frame. Junior forward Alaina Tanksi delivered the go-ahead shot before Mlýnková stormed the net on a rebound and secured herself a hat trick.

Grad student forward Hailey Burns delivered the final goal with less than 10 minutes left in the third period, tapping the puck into the net with an assist from first-year forward Kaylee Lewis.

On the second night of the weekend, the script was different for the Catamounts. The two teams held each other at bay into the third period thanks to their defense. Senior goalie Jessie McPherson shined with 22 total saves on the night.

Mlýnková continued her stellar weekend, as she broke through a defensive barricade with a wrist shot in the top right corner of the net at the 5:46-minute mark.

With just over six minutes remaining, UNH fired back with graduate student forward Annie Berry delivering the game tying shot from the low slot. McPherson delivered a game-altering save, stopping a quick shot from Jade Christian to keep the score even with just over three minutes remaining.

In overtime, Mlýnková took a shot from the high slot that couldn’t find the net. Junior forward Evelyne Blais-Savoie found the puck in the left face-off circle and delivered the game clinching shot, firing the puck past New Hampshire goalkeeper Sedona Blair to give Vermont the win.

The Catamounts are No. 12 in the nation and look primed to deliver more thrilling games in two weeks when they host the Boston College Eagles for a division showdown in the Gutterson Fieldhouse on Friday Nov. 10 and Saturday Nov. 11.