Women’s ice hockey steals victory from Boston College in thrilling win

Elizabeth Smith
UVM women’s ice hockey loses 6-3 against Boston College Nov. 10.

The UVM women’s ice hockey team defeated the Boston College Eagles by a final score of 3-2 on Saturday, Nov. 11.

Vermont, who are ranked No. 13 nationally and two spots ahead of Boston College, now find themselves tied with both Boston College and the University of Connecticut for No. 4 ranked in the Hockey East standings.

Vermont fell behind early on their home ice, as Boston College struck first with a goal by junior forward Abby Newhook in minute three of the first period. Less than 10 minutes later, Vermont responded: with the power play advantage, senior forward Natálie Mlýnková faked the defense and put them on their heels before delivering the game-tying wrist shot.

The two teams remained knotted with one goal apiece into the third quarter. Junior goalie Sydney Correa shined with a career-high of 33 saves, holding the Boston College offensive attack at bay while buying her teammates time.

“[Correa] kept us in the game during the first period when we were being widely outplayed,” said head coach Jim Plumber.

Junior forward Evelyne Blais-Savoie delivered the go-ahead goal four minutes into the third period, with a shot from the right faceoff to give UVM their first lead of the game. Boston responded when first-year defender Molly Jordan delivered an equalizing shot with less than under three minutes left in the game.

With the score even again, Vermont found quick resolve as senior forward Maddy Skelton forced a BC turnover in the neutral zone just 10 seconds later. Skelton protected the puck in a two-on-two rush towards the goal, before unleashing a game-winning shot into the top left corner of the goal to seal the UVM victory.