UVM to rent out dorm rooms for eclipse, affected students seek alternative accommodations

Kyle Cairns
University Heights and Central Campus residence halls repurposed for upcoming eclipse.

University officials have announced that they will be reoccupying student housing for the total eclipse April 8, according to an April 1 press release.

“Students in premium-tier dorms will be asked to vacate rooms from 4 p.m. on April 7 to 11 a.m. on April 9, standard hotel hours,” stated the press release. “This will include residents of University Heights and Central Campus.”

City officials estimate anywhere from 25,000 to 100,000 tourists coming to Burlington for the total eclipse.

The decision comes after Burlington hotels have been booked for months prior, said UVM spokesperson Adam White. 

“This isn’t just a once-in-a-lifetime celestial event, it’s also a prime business opportunity that will benefit our entire campus community,” White said. “Relocated students are encouraged to hammock in the Redstone Pines–spending more time in the outdoors is UVM culture–and CCRH residents are welcome to stay in Converse. The students will also be compensated for the amount we will be charging the visitors.”

The rooms will be going for $400 a night for doubles and $1,200 for entire suites, according to the press release.

“Personally, I’m thrilled.” said sophomore Ayelet Kaminski, UHeights resident. “So long as they don’t expect me to clean. The more the merrier. I hope they like bunk beds!”

First-year Rupert Pollywog is less excited, he said. 

“I chose the Wellness Environment because I thought I would be protected from the dark side of college life, [such as] drinking, smoking, hammocking,” Pollywog said. “But I’d rather brave the outdoors than spend a night in Converse.”

Residential advisors will also be expected to take on concierge, bellhop and housekeeping duties, according to an email from ResLife to Central and UHeights RAs. 

“The total eclipse is a once-in-a-lifetime event,” stated the email. “We all have to do our part.”

Suresh Garimella could not be reached for comment.

Disclaimer: This story was an April Fool’s day prank and the information within it is not true.