Audience ‘gets silly’ at Rubblebucket

??Do you guys want to get silly?? yelled Rubblebucket lead singer Kalmia Traver, eliciting an overwhelming response of hollers and cheers from an ecstatic mass of fans. On Friday night, UVM students old and new gathered into the Davis Center?s Grand Maple Ballroom to kick off a new school year to the tune of some of Burlington?s most celebrated homegrown musical talent. The first band to take the stage, Kat Wright & the Indomitable Soul Band, asserted their presence immediately, boasting the big soul sound that has earned them their name. Rumbling baritone sax and a flaring trumpet and saxophone section combined with driving rhythms and jazzy guitar to fill the room to the brim with bluesy grooves.Fans found themselves dancing to the brassy melodies and singing along with the powerfully cutting vocals of Kat Wright on songs like ?After All? and ?All About You.? After a short but soulful set, the stage was cleared and prepared for Rubblebucket. In the meantime, the crowd buzzed with restless anticipation. When the moment came, the ballroom erupted with applause as the band jumped right into a blazing performance of ?Breatherz.? Blaring horns and climbing vocals over a hypnotic beat had fans in head-nodding trances and dancing frenzies throughout.In anticipation of their new EP, which is slated for release Sept. 24, they even worked in a few newer tracks, including their latest single ?Save Charlie.? Throughout the entire night the energy in the building built up relentlessly, with the band feeding off of the crowd and vice versa. Horn players danced themselves to the brink of exhaustion while the rambunctious Traver zipped around the stage like a lit rocket. ?It was really refreshing to see a performance where the members really seemed to be throwing their soul onto the crowd,? Colfer said.This symbiotic exchange of intensity came to a climactic front near the end of the show when the band broke loose into their hit song ?Came out of a Lady.? Explosions of horn and irresistible bass had the crowd shaking and pulsing when band members jumped off the stage and brought the music onto the floor. A crowd surfing trumpeter was about all the crowd could take before hordes of fans rushed the stage as the barrier between crowd and band shattered into a full out dance party. As the show came to a close, dazed fans gradually made their way out of the ballroom, some with the new knowledge of just how silly the UVM crowd can get, and others with a happy reminder.