Band of brothers keeping it rough

The smell of body odor filled the air and a half-full beer can flew across the room unnoticed by crowd members as they danced and sang along with local band Rough Francis at their record release show at Arts Riot March 7. ?Grimey but classy,? senior Eric Ziegelman said of the show. ?[Rough Francis] is so genuine and humble and we gave it to ?em. These guys are doing something.?Ziegelman said he joined the 40-person mosh pit in front of the stage for much of the show, punching the air and ?thrashing with the best of them.? Any time a mosher was thrown to the ground someone quickly scooped him or her up to safety. Between songs lead singer Bobby Hackney Jr. called out from the stage, ?ya?ll taking care of each other out there?? Hackney classified the band as the ?line between punk and rock,? referencing ?80s hardcore and ?60s style guitar rock as influences. Hackney and his two younger brothers, Julian and Urian, started the band as a tribute to their father and two uncles? band, ?Death.? Since then they have gone on to write and record their own original music. A documentary entitled ?A Band Called Death? was released in 2012 to tell their family?s story. ?The cool thing was when all of us found out about ?Death? at the same time,? Hackney said. ?It was really the first time we were able to relate to each other as adults. It made the bond a lot stronger,? he said. Though only three of Rough Francis? members are blood-related, Hackney said they?re all brothers. ?They?re pretty much the only people I hang out with,? he said. Urian and Julian both work day jobs in the produce department at City Market, while Bobby carries two jobs with Meals on Wheels and as a graphic designer at Seven Days. Though Hackney has two young children and a wife at home, he said that he finds time for the ?regular brotherly stuff.? The guys from Rough Francis can often be found together grabbing a drink or supporting friends in other local bands.While Hackney cites many important factors in the band?s dynamic and friendships, he said that being brothers is ?really important.? ?We all take care of each other. We pick on each other a lot but it?s all out of love and respect. We try to do right by each other and have fun together,? he said. Rough Francis will be touring in support of their new album ?Maximum Soul Power? throughout March. Dates and details are available at www.roughfrancis.com. The band can also be found on the Rough Francis Facebook page and by checking out @RoughFrancis on Twitter.