Band revamps bluegrass

Five-piece bluegrass act Greensky Bluegrass was formed in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 2000.  Twelve years later, the band is still on the road. Their tour to kick off the new year will bring them to Burlington’s Higher Ground on Saturday, Jan. 21. Greensky Bluegrass features Dave Bruzza on guitar and vocals, Paul Hoffman on mandolin and vocals, Michael Bont on banjo and vocals, Mike Devol on acoustic bass and vocals and Anders Beck on dobra and lap steel.  The band started their career by performing local gigs on the weekends while they were learning to play their instruments.  By 2004, Greensky Bluegrass was on tour and starting to pick up steam. According to Hoffman, they were playing over 100 shows a year by 2006. “The last five years have been pretty intense,” Hoffman said. Greensky Bluegrass has its own fresh take on bluegrass music.  “Since we have a lot of different influences and didn’t grow up learning bluegrass, it gives us a different approach,” Hoffman said of the band’s distinct sound. According to a review from The Examiner, “Greensky Bluegrass is one of the most progressive contemporary bluegrass bands touring today. Rather than simply replicating the traditional style, Greensky combines folk harmonies, contemporary lyrics and an up tempo beat to create their unique take on the genre.” The band rarely has two weekends in a row without shows.  “It’s really exciting to go to new places,” Hoffman said. “We’re starting to grow into bigger venues and develop more fans.”  Having toured in the Burlington area before, Hoffman said that they are very fond of the city and their local fan base. Greensky Bluegrass’ most recent album, Handguns, was released this past October. It will be a main feature of their performance at Higher Ground. Tickets for their upcoming show are available on Higher Ground’s website for $10 in advance and $12 on the day of.