Big Gigantic’s big return

From music festivals to indoor venues, Big Gigantic has been filling crowds with electronic euphoria since 2009. The duo has a jam band and jazzy musical vibe while also hugging the sounds of synthesizers and a thumping bass.Big Gigantic is set to return to Higher Ground Feb. 13 with guests Kill Paris and Main Focus. With Dominic Lalli jamming on the saxophone, Jeremy Salkens drumbeats and the duos mix of electronic production, this livetronica band will surely bring a high-energy show.Starting with their first album Wide Awake, released in 2009, Big Gigantic has been working with 1320 Record, who produced every album following, including Fire It Up later in 2009 and A Place Behind The Moon in 2010.On Jan. 11, 2012, Big Gigantic released a new album, Nocturnal, under Big Gigantic Records and 1320 Records. Ever since, the duo has been touring all over only to end their year in Hampton, VA for Basslights, a two-night show featuring Pretty Lights and Bassnecter.For their Winter Tour 2013, Big Gigantic will bring much more than their music.The band and their production team have created a brand new light show to bring to the stage and highlight their musical energy.The Cynic chatted with drummer Jeremy Salken for some insight on their latest music and what the future holds for Big Gigantic.Vermont Cynic (VC): What do you find most inspiring when beginning new projects?Jeremy Salken (JS): A little bit of everything: trying to push yourself to do something new, checking out new music and taking it to the next level.VC: What made you decide to go on tour with Kill Paris?JS: Were fans of their stuff, we try to get new acts on our tour before they hit hard.VC: How is playing a show at a venue such as Higher Ground different from playing at a festival? Which do you prefer?JS: There are different things about both. Festivals are great because of the massive crowds and were playing in front of twenty thousand people like at Electric Forest, which was one of our favorite sets, but at the same time playing indoors with the same energy contained in a small area, it gets crazy too.Being able to be like this [at Higher Ground] its our own show, we sold tickets, and people are here to see you its pretty great.VC: With festival season coming in a few months, can you give any hints to where youll be playing?JS: All over. Snowball in Colorado, nothing else is really announced yet but hopefully well make it back to the [Electric] Forest.This summer will be a bit mellower because we played at a lot of festivals last summer.This summer were going to switch it up. You probably wont see us as much but well still have a presence.VC: What direction do you see Big G going in? Do you have any collaborations in the works?JS: Were trying to make some new music; hopefully well get an album out toward the end of the year. We have a whole new light set up thats on the road with us.Its something huge we worked really hard on but were always trying to work on new music as well.