“CULT” hits home

Fans of the punk-rock band Bayside were happily surprised Feb. 10 when the band decided to stream their heavily anticipated sixth studio album, “CULT,” early on Pandora Premieres.  In an interview with Hopeless Records, lead vocalist Anthony Raneri said, “CULT, in a way, is the Bayside discography without using any old songs.”  This statement is proven right from the start with album opener “Big Cheese,” introducing listeners to the familiar pounding drums from Chris Guglielmo, the shredding opening guitar solo from Jack O’Shea and catchy vocals from Raneri.  Bayside has always been able to channel their personal conflicts into their music but it is impossible to ignore the strong emotional themes in “CULT.”  With songs “Hate Me,” “Pigsty” and “You’re No Match,” Raneri spills his anger into dark, yet relatable lyrics.  “Pigsty” starts off immediately with the words “Your name is dirt and I’ve got you under my nails,” introducing a villain for fans to compare to someone in their own lives. As the album proceeds, the anger is replaced with sorrow and understanding, especially in “Transitive Property” when Raneri sings “and when we fight there’s still a way, ’cause you’re my rock if I’m still yours.” Bayside keeps the album strong with “Stuttering” as a middle track, an anthem for an angsty middle-schooler, as well as a graduating college student. At this point in the album fans cannot fathom how it could get better, but “Bear With Me” proves them wrong with clever and catchy lyrics that you end up screaming with by the middle of the song.  The band takes it down a notch with their heart-wrenching track “Objectivist on Fire,” which displays the softer side of Bayside.  The album then quickly reverts back with heavy opening instrumentals and a powerful chorus in the last track “The Whitest Lie,” which will leave you wanting to immediately re-listen to the entire album.