Dan Coyle and his vagabond vibes

He went from living out of cars and struggling with depression to internationally touring and performing. Dan Coyle finds music to be a means to cope with his pains and trials.?Whatever wants to come out will come out,? Coyle said.?It?s as if you were to paint something blindfolded, and then you take the blindfold off and realize, ?Wow, that?s what I was painting.??It?s a blindfolded kind of process ? there?s no real thought behind it, just free association,? he said.Singer/songwriter Coyle is heading on tour throughout Vermont, from Shelburne to Kingston from Feb. 6-9.Growing up in Churchville, N.Y., Coyle was not born into a musical family. It was not until an ex-girlfriend bought him a guitar, to play covers of Beatles songs, that he got into performing.Coyle taught himself how to play, and after attending several open mic nights while studying at Niagara University he decided to move to Chicago to take on its music scene. This was not easy, as most of his college friends had moved back home to Churchville after graduating. While saving up funds to move to Chicago, Coyle lived out of his van and performed on the streets of Buffalo for food money and spent leisure time reading.?I would go to a Barnes & Noble, and just sit down and read a book,? Coyle said. ?The day before I was to leave [for Chicago], I felt bad ? I went to the store and I went and bought all the books I read,? he said. Years later, after lost friendships and troubles with self-harm and addiction, Coyle said he is on a path of happiness and clarity.He said that this was in part due to his music.?I?ve developed this habit of smiling a lot when I?m performing, and I don?t think that used to be the case but?I guess I?m just excited to be doing it.?[My smile] emanates out and it?s hard to watch me perform without smiling. ?Hopefully the fact that they?re seeing that I?m having a lot of fun radiates outward,? he said. Even through performances with less-than-interested crowds, Coyle knows to stand back and focus in on those who truly care.?I just try to pay attention.?Sometimes you?ll get these places where it can be really loud or obnoxious ? I used to be so, ?I?m an artist, and I have something to say,? he said.Coyle recalled a show where his entire perspective changed. He said he met a man sitting at the bar after his show. ?[I talked to him] and he said to me, ?You should just play for the people, and not worry for the people who aren?t here or aren?t listening,? and he?s totally right,? Coyle said.?Even if you have to focus on one out of 80 people, and everyone else is annoying, you?ve got to focus on that one person,? he said.Through all of his hardships, Coyle has kept going, kept playing and kept persevering.?Don?t worry about who said they were gonna come. Whoever?s there, give them as good of a show as you can,? he said.Dan Coyle is performing an all-ages free show at Nectar?s Bar Feb. 8.