Film uncovers the body

The 2012-2013 UVM Film Series: The Body in Film premiered Jan. 24 with a showing of surrealist writer/director Darren Aronofskys The Fountain. The series was developed in partnership with UVMs Lane Series, Film and Television Studies Department and the Fleming Museum. Members, film students and moviegoers alike lounged in the Billings Lecture Hall for a pre-show talk with Film and Television Studies associate professor Hilary Neroni, followed by the movie and a Q&A.Neronis lecture introduced the two ways in which film critics generally categorize the body in film: utilitarian and unknowable.The talk analyzed the bodys role as canvas for the stories and experiences of humanity.The first [category] encourages the viewer to acknowledge the physical body for its utilitarian purpose as a vessel for survival, Neroni said.During the Vietnam War, the hard bodies of Rambo-like characters embodied the unending strength and courage necessary to mend the broken American spirit, she added.Neroni suggests it functions additionally to represent a singular depiction of masculinity.The second body is body as subjecta body we dont have access too, Neroni concluded. It is defined by its connection to the mind-body psychedesiring and inscrutable.It is this second category in which Aronofsky explores the body, highlighting deeply complex themes of mortality, love and progress. The Fountains main characters, Tommy and Izzie, engage the viewer with their invisible, emotional conflict.Neroni urged the audience to take notice of the bodies in The Fountain. Senior Mackey Landy recalled his initial interpretation of Tommys body, played by Hugh Jackman.In the tai chi sceneit is very ambiguous, Landy said. He is a force, one of a few beings moving through the world.Aronofskys heavy use of light and shadow illuminated the stark contrast between life and death. Aronofsky literally took their bodies and put them together to have a yin and yang effect, sophomore Jacob Schneider said. In the Q&A, Schneider further explained this idea that Tommys darkness represented the relationships overwhelming passion. Izzies angelic radiance, the light to the symbol of unity, depicted the couples grace.The Body in Film will continue until April 18, with three pre-film lectures, movies and Q&A to follow. Check out the UVM Lane Series website for more information.