Giving a voice to Vt. in a big world

?We just do what we want to do and we don?t give a shit what others think.?These and similar statements of rebellious attitude can be found in discussion with James Lockridge, owner and operator of Burlington-based music website Big Heavy World.Established in 1996, Big Heavy World is a site that aims to preserve Vermont?s musical history. The website creates opportunities for local artists and develops a strong local arts community, according to the Web Page.The organization is many things: a music label, a journalistic device, a Vermont music archive, a radio station and more.To Lockridge, it is simply ?a resource for local artists and musicians.?He saw an opportunity within the small but growing Web market on the then newly-popular Internet back in 1996.So he partnered up with experimental technologies, such as investor Mark Cuban?s AudioNet, which became part of Broadcast.com and then Yahoo! Broadcast.The ?biggest revolution? was his then never-before-seen broadcasting of live Burlington events while they were happening, on the Internet, he said.?We were using experimental technologies ? we were streaming concerts straight to the center of the Web before anyone even knew what streaming was,? Lockridge said.He said he tries to be as out-of-the-box as possible, especially when it comes to the business environment.Their radio station, 105.9, The Radiator, showcases local aspiring disc jockeys, allowing them to volunteer for spots on the air. In addition, it gives room for local artists to be showcased.Sophomore Max Mashrick, lead singer and guitarist of local band Townsend Revenue, said playing on The Radiator was an enjoyable experience.?It was pretty fun, man,? he said. ?We went in with our acoustic guitars and played a few songs and they asked us a few questions ? and they took some cool pictures.?What Lockridge said he is most proud of is Big Heavy World?s deviation from traditional business practices, giving people freedom to create a productive and overall happy environment.This is because the organization acts as a means for youth to participate in the music scene outside of a potentially ?substance-filled? atmosphere, he said.?I know when I was a teenager I was just spending spare time burning tires and drinkin?,? Lockridge said.He added that in a sense, the way they go about business is philosophically the same, ?[except] there?s no drugs here!?Students are taking notice.First-year Catie Wilson said she feels that given the chance, she would certainly endorse the organization.?I think that local music is something that makes every town unique,? she said. You can visit bigheavyworld.com to check out the group?s projects and listen to 105.9 The Radiator.