New year brings new T.V.

For many of us not into the idea of spending our time tumbling down a mountainside with our feet strapped to a plastic slab, winter means only one thing: the arrival of midseason television. These new and returning shows are sure to get you through those short days and long nights when you feel you?ve exhausted your Netflix.1) ?True Detective,? HBO, Sundays at 9 p.m.: Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson star as detectives and former friends tracking down a serial killer they thought they had already caught. Maybe we don?t need another show about serial killers, but this one is definitely among the best. Each season will follow a different cast and story, like ?American Horror Story,? making for an intriguing and original premise. Episode three airs Jan. 26.2) ?Sherlock? series three, PBS, Sundays at 10 p.m.: Sherlock and Watson return in the third installment of this beloved British miniseries. The modern-day reinvention of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?s sleuth has become an instant classic. Netflix and Amazon Prime both have the first two series, should you need a refresher.3) ?Looking,? HBO, Sundays at 10:30 p.m.: This new series stars Broadway vet Jonathan Groff as a gay man and video game developer living in San Francisco. Centering on his friends and their mishaps in life and love, some critics have declared it ?the gay ?Girls??. This may or may not be accurate, but give it a chance to come into its own before demoting it to rip-off status. It?s the first LGBT-centered show of note to premiere since ?The L Word,? and that?s important.4) ?Kroll Show? season two, Comedy Central, Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m.: Possibly one of the funniest programs currently on television is this sketch series by comedian Nick Kroll. Other comedians, like John Mulaney and Jenny Slate, promise to make appearances and continue some of the wonderful season one sketches.