No Nicki for UVM

Despite what Facebook says, Nicki Minaj and Third Eye Blind will not be performing at Springfest 2012. Daniel Asam created a public event Facebook page “UVM SpringFest 2012 (Official Page)” as a joke. He included the location, date and lineup of his fantasy Springfest. “Me and my friend had been talking about doing it for a while, and I was wicked bored just chillin’ in my room,” said Asam. “I was like, alright, time to pull the trigger on this.” Many of the students invited to join the Facebook page on Feb. 12 at 11 p.m. during Nicki Minaj’s Grammy performance, which, according the Asam, was not planned, were skeptical. “I saw on Facebook that Nicki Minaj was going to play, and I didn’t really believe it because why would she come to Burlington to play UVM Springfest,” first-year Kara Ciambra said. Those who did believe the event page was legitimate posted excited, disappointed and confused comments pertaining to the lineup.  “Wow I love how I didn’t even know my own band (@Potbelly) was playing at this,” junior Daniel Crespo, drummer of Potbelly, posted on Facebook. A hundred and fifty people were “attending” within a half hour of the making of the Facebook event. Originally, only 20 people were invited to join the page, but those 20 then shared the page among their friends, according to Asam. “It wasn’t just me, I mean, I made the page and everything, but the idea was me and my friend [Peter Farrell],” Asam said, giving credit to his YMR ski posse buddy. Asam said he and Farrell enjoyed the commotion they created into the early hours of Monday morning, and liked when people talked about the lineup with him, not knowing he had anything to do with the hoax. “One kid had me laughing so much [with] how stoked he was for Nicki Minaj,” Asam said. “It was hilarious.” Asam contacted sophomore Daniel Tyler, who had been posting links to the real UVM Concerts Bureau’s Facebook on Asam’s page, to request that Tyler “let him get some laughs out of this.” Soon after, Tyler was involved in the prank himself. “I told him to write that tickets are going to be sold all week.” Tyler said. The UVM Concerts Bureau sent out a statement Feb. 13 at noon declaring that Nicki Minaj will not be performing at Springfest, and that the lineup has yet to be released. “Any announcements made thus far are all false, and the real announcement should be made in two weeks,” senior Greg Ramey, UVM Concerts Bureau’s primary contact, said. To see the false announcement, visit “UVM SpringFest 2012 (Official Page)” on Facebook.