Shakey Graves an unheralded gem

A man, his guitar, and a modified suitcase kick-drum: these are the basic components that comprise Alejandro Rose-Garcias musical act, more commonly known as Shakey Graves.It doesnt seem like much, but Garcia is the ideal example of an artist who is able to accomplish a lot with so little.In fact, this simple setup is exactly what his brand of music calls for, which can best be described as a cross between blues and folk rock, but also goes far beyond that.I first heard Shakey Graves when I came across an online video of a live performance of his song Roll the Bones.Alone onstage he looks completely stripped down as he stands before the audience with only a guitar and a kick-drum.Once he begins to play, however, he immediately surrounds himself in the sweetly distorted riffs of his guitar.The more he plays, the more full the sound becomes, until he comes to a complete stop.Hanging on the silence for only a moment, he tears right back into the song with growling vocals that drive the music like a stunning piece of heavy machinery.What struck me as so impressive about Shakey Graves from this video was how independently he is able to command each instrumental aspect of his music.Whenever his voice is not carrying the melody, the incredibly skillful guitar work takes over, leaving no lulls or dull moments.Meanwhile, he dictates the tempo with the bass drum, slowing down and speeding up to build intensity. As of now, Shakey Graves has two recorded albums, both of which can be found on www.shakeygraves.com. The most recent one, an EP entitled Donor Blues, was released this past December.If you are not one for the big and loud blues guitar style, then Garcias studio work is probably more up your alley.In contrast to his live performances, the songs on these albums are largely acoustic and characterized by subtle percussion and warm, layered vocals.Business Lunch, off of the Roll The Bones album, appeals to the nomad in all of us.Riding atop a rolling guitar loop, Garcia sings Come skin your knees with us, lifes too short for a business lunch.Even the persistent rhythm of the song is reminiscent of the vagabonds tireless journey.Another personal favorite of mine is the song Unlucky Skin.A slight departure from the blues-like structure of his other numbers, this song is more akin to the folk/bluegrass style of a band like Fleet Foxes.On this track, banjo and subtle vocal harmonies conspire to create a calming and mellow blend of sound.The disparities between Garcias studio work and his live performances make him especially intriguing as an artist.On the albums we see Shakey Graves the storytelling songsmith. On stage we see Shakey Graves the innovative musician, flexing his musical muscles and exploring the depths of his performing abilities.Going forward, it will be interesting to see how Garcia evolves as a musician and a performer.In the meantime, I highly recommend that you check this guy out. I have a strong feeling that he is only just getting started.