The Hunger Games stays true to novel

?

“The Hunger Games” film adaptation faced several major challenges including casting, visual creation of the districts and the Capitol, and properly depicting the Hunger Games themselves. It is safe to say that the movie pretty much nailed it.

Jennifer Lawrence was cast as Katniss Everdeen, the strong-willed, fierce and beautiful main character who courageously volunteers to enter the Games in place of her younger sister, Prim. 

Josh Hutcherson plays her companion in the Games, Peeta Mellark. The two were able to capture the fear and excitement of the games and the compassion for each other that dominated the book. 

The Capitol, where the Games take place, is futuristic, luxurious and questionably fashionable. The residents of the district have wild hair colors with makeup and clothing to match. Their technology put Apple products to shame. 

The way both the people and setting were rendered in the movie was perfect. 

Then came the Games. In a virtual landscape controlled by a panel of designers, the 24 adolescent tributes, two from each of the post-apocalyptic twelve North American districts, fight until only one remains victorious. 

The forested landscape of the Games was not that hard to reproduce; the real magic was in the control room. The controllers were able to change the time of day, temperature and elements, and created virtually anything to make for a more desirable battle display.

Of course, there were some minor differences between the book and the movie, but nothing of any real importance.

The only disappointment was in Katniss’ makeover by her stylist, Cinna. Her costumes and overall transformation did not seem as dramatic as they could have been. 

Whether you’ve read all three books cover to cover, or have never heard of “The Hunger Games” until this release, you will not be let down by this film.

Buy a ticket, prepare for a tear or two and “may the odds be ever in your favor.”